Monday, June 20

Coloring On the Lines

Who knew a summer course on score preparation could be so much fun? Stressful yes, but also a little bit fun. Did you know another name for the Trombone is Posaune and a Glockenspiel is also called jeu de timbres? In my head I imagine myself saying jeu de timbres in a beautifully French accent and its wonderful. 


 This week, we are learning how to sight-read by singing fixed do as opposed to movable do. Not really at all like Julie Andrews singing "Do, a deer, a female deer..." but it comes to mind.

My favorite part of this summer course has been the coloring. 
Our first assignment was to color code our scores.  


RED for the loud dynamics
BLUE for the soft dynamics
etc., etc.

I'm finishing up my final project tonight. Working through the first movement of the orchestral score of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, K. 467. I played this in high school, not exceptionally well, but well enough to understand it a little better now. Anyone else taking some summer courses?

3 comments:

  1. Hey lady!
    I took a summer course too, it was Native American Studies and I had to have it to renew my SD teaching license. I love reading your blog!

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a summer course on pain au chocolat and chocolat mousse and all other desserts chocolat (also imagined in a perfect French accent). The summer course is taking place in my kitchen, and I am the teacher and the student at the same time. It's been fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - thank you! I've been enjoying your blogging too. Keep 'em coming!

    Betsy - you are so completely adorable. I wish I had a love for my kitchen like you do for yours. It's really a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete

I delight in what you have to say, so comment away...